Friday, June 17, 2011

A worm in the Apple?

July 2007 Entry 3

A security researcher claims to have written an OS X worm.

He doesn't give many details, other than to say the worm uses an exploit that will give remote root access. I hate to say it, but despite the verbal violence directed at him by some of the more fanatical Apple faithful, there' no reason not to believe him. There is certainly no reason to threaten and demean him. I love Mac's, and I'll probably run them until I can't find one to run anymore. But Steve Jobs is not God, and Mac's are not invulnerable. Mac users have lead blessed lives, malware wise, and may continue to for a while. But the day will come when an exploit of major virulence will hit the Mac platform, and we'd better be ready. Run Anti-Virus software. Run a firewall. The one built into OS X will work, but the firewall in a NAT router will be better. Have a "normal user" login that you use for everything except installing software. We'll go into more detail on securing your computer soon

While we're preparing our Mac' against the coming storm we'd better put pressure on Apple to pay more attention to security researchers and be less highhanded. Apple does not want to be caught flat-footed when the first big Mac malware hits. Living up to the hype they've generated is impossible in the long term, so it's time to show that when it comes to security, Apple is ready to listen and learn.

3 comments:

  1. I am indeed an older MacOS10 user. I suppose that by the time my Mac is hit by a virus, i will be long gone from this earth. The best of luck to the rest of you Mac people.

    Helen Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using a MacBook and have encountered various Phishing viruses. I downloaded Norton Antivirus 10, installed it and ran it. After running for hours, it quit suddenly and did this everytime I restarted. I am not a virus expert, so my apologies if I don't communicate effectively.
    After spending hours uninstalling Norton's program, I found and installed ClamXav. Using this program I found and deleted the following:
    ~/1AFB9CCFd01:HTML.Phishing.Auction-270
    ~/INBOX.mbox/mbox:Email.Phishing.Pay-21
    ~/INBOX.mbox/Messages/12791.emix:Email.Phishing.RB-1562

    I later discovered copies of these files in my Backup folder as well.
    Having removed these files, I'm still experiencing spoofed email messages.

    Symantec was not help. Comcast was no help and Apple was no help. Help!

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I'll be glad to do what I can if you'll give me an email address or some way for me to contact you.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete